Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The 2008 Calender - The club needs you!

Last post 15-02-2008, 9:52 PM by Quentin. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-02-2008, 6:25 PM 2677

The 2008 Calender - The club needs you!

As many of you may or may not be aware an exciting new year of tramping climbing and adventures is nearly upon us.  Our chief guides are currently in the busy process of constructing an inspirational action packed calendar for the coming year!  But before this can be unleashed WE NEED YOUR HELP! Yes you! The club! Everyone!

Calling for suggestions!!!

To make sure we get all of the right spices and flavours into this year’s calendar we thought it would be a good idea to chuck it out to the general club for suggestions.  So if you have an idea no matter how big small or interesting, send us a line with your idea and we will chuck it into the calendar cake mixer.  So please everyone keen to hear your ideas (either email them to me or reply to this forum!)

Calling for leaders

Our club trips relies heavily on volunteer leaders to run trips and keep the wheels of tramping oiled.  There is a lot of satisfaction in pulling things together and getting a group of people into the hills or onto a crag.  It is not difficult and if you need support or a hand there are plenty of people keen to help.  So if you would pretty please with please topping be keen to lead a trip please send me and email and let me know what sort of level you would like to run (ie easy tramping or expedition climbing in the Himalayas).

Thanks all

Craig Scott

•  14-02-2008, 1:04 PM 2692 in reply to 2677

Re: The 2008 Calender - The club needs you!

Ideas

I am absolutely new and got no idea what trips the club currently runs, so may duplicate on whats already in the list, but thought best to list them:

- Introductory adventure trips for newbies.  Overnight with the aim to introduce new members to camping, basic navigational skills, a bit of exploration (bush bashing), maybe some easy rock climbing/bouldering, first aid and long day walks with a small pack.  It will be best to have more than 2 nights, so target Easter Break.  Note this will be a quick intro, so as to motivate ppl to join the ‘Craft’ sessions later on to gain more skills.  Good advertisement option ;)

- Include some cycle touring, and "easy" MTB trips for those who want to get a field for it.

- Include some caving trips if we got the skills/equipment

- Include rogaining trips and joining rogaining competitions

- Do you have a “craft’ session for outdoor first aid/survival?  It is critical to educate new members on the basics of outdoor first aid and survival techniques and basic/mandatory equipment.  It also encourages them to gain more skills.

- I imagine that Rockcraft, includes SRT.  Do we run advance courses?  Do we have a separate Abseiling course, or is this inclusive?

Leading trips

I will be keen to assist with leading trips.  I got a fair amount of experience bushwalking, orientaring, cycling and caving, incl leading trips.  I will need some assistance with local names and routes and club’s procedures and rules.  I’ll prefer to lead intermediate and introductory trips :)

•  14-02-2008, 1:29 PM 2694 in reply to 2692

Awesome! cheers for your suggestions we will defiantly chuck them into the mix. Most of the things you have suggested the club does do and we have on the calendar in a shape or form. We are very strong on all forms of tramping and climbing. We have trips synchronous multi day and single day trips running for every weekend of the year and are definatly keen on utalising easter to the fullest. We are probably not strong on the caving and we do a little bit of biking we will see if we can chuck that into the mix.

Thank your for your input there is some good stuff there and it heps us confirm that our current drafts are on the right track.  It is really good to get ideas to get the best possible calendar, much appreciated and thanks for your leading trips offer

If anyone has more idea please feel free to add or voice

Cheers

Craig

•  15-02-2008, 9:52 PM 2710 in reply to 2694

I'd be keen to lead a trip into the Haurangi (Washpool etc, pref two cars/groups to swap keys halfway, either 2 or 3 days) it wanted to schedule a club trip to that piece of the world. A few outstanding (in the 'remaining' sense) huts to bag in that area. Quentin q@pleroma.org.nz 0272088965

Quentin Duthie
    quentin.duthie@gmail.com
View as RSS news feed in XML