Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bushball!!!

Last post 10-06-2007, 5:26 PM by photocam. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  16-05-2007, 12:53 PM 1005 in reply to 1004

Re: Bushball!!!

Anyone going late??

If you need a ride? Mike will be heading in to Bushball after 6:30pm.  So if you need a ride give him a text or call

021 060 6833
    04 4753466

•  16-05-2007, 1:01 PM 1007 in reply to 1005

For the late comers

Late comers and parking...

The Rimutaka forest park – Catchpool Valley carpark has some gates to the entrance of it that are closed on dusk (5:30pm ish)

I have talked to the Caretaker of the area and he has informed me that he can’t leave the gates open but has said that people can park their vehicles On the grass outside the workshop area.  He has said that your vehicle will be perfectly safe as there are two inhabited houses nearby.

So if you are coming late

• Drive down the coast road
    • 100m before you get to the turn off for catchpool valley there is one of those fire danger signs and you will see some buildings on your left
    • Turn into here
    • You can park your vehicle on the grass outside the workshop area
    • You will then have to walk down the main road then up catchpool valley road (couple of km) before you get to the track

If there is something planned then perhaps someone going in earlier could leave their vehicle just inside the catchpool gate so that a late comer can use that vehicle and avoid the walk down the road

•  16-05-2007, 2:50 PM 1011 in reply to 978

wow that you guys are having Feuerzangenbowle makes me really jealous!

Enjoy, it's sooo good!

Nicolai, where can you buy sugar cones? I've never seen them in the supermarket... 

•  16-05-2007, 5:14 PM 1012 in reply to 998

add? don't you mean dad? or Fats?

Sammy Roo
    Filed under:
  •  17-05-2007, 11:02 AM 1013 in reply to 1004

Sweet! Baines hut, that's almost at that very spot where I had fallen asleep in the middle of the bush after 5hrs of mad bushbashing and gully-climbing due to a flooded Orongorongo... This night will be more fun I reckon :-)

Alright, I bought some decent 60 Volts (or was it Rounds per minute?) RUM (f%*#ing expensive, though - will need to collect donations), spices, a net of oranges, 3 bottles of wine and a sieve to put the sugar in. If any of you guys should see those exotic sugar cones somewhere (maybe at the Dutch shop in Petone!), let me know. Otherwhise, I could buy cubes instead. Has onyone got a large billy? And more wine would be good...

Is there any space in your tent for me? Would be much appreciated!

I leave at 4pm_ish and could take another 3-4 people with me. Can pick you up along the route Island Bay - CBD.

phone: 3838404 

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  17-05-2007, 11:06 AM 1014 in reply to 1013

So you're not coming, Matthias? That's a shame indeed! Are you moving into a new flat again? One containing more eggs? :-)
  •  17-05-2007, 11:31 AM 1017 in reply to 1014

IMPORTANT

This is a very important piece of information that you need to carefully consider. 

Please be well aware of beverage supply levels.  The unfortunate thing with being out in the bush is the distance to the bottle store to get more supplies when you run out.  So as the boy scouts say ALWAYS BE PREPARED!  Never under estimate the amount of alcohol you will actually need on a bushball.  So the best advice I can offer is

Work out what you think need and triple it.
    If you are going in to a group thing, It always pays to have emergency reserve, in the case stock runs dry.

To be on the safe side it is always wise to pack a spare crate or two.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

•  17-05-2007, 7:25 PM 1042 in reply to 961

Hey Cats,

If anyone wants a lift to Bushball a bit later on Saturday, like 5 or so ish, let me know. I am planning to leave Welly about then and have got a sweet plan to get there. 

After some difficulties trying to make my way to Bushball last year, this time I have taken the initiative to have a look at a map. I have planned a fail-safe route. I don’t think my route appears on the map that Craig posted on the interweb, but it goes a little something like this:

-Drive to some road end out the back of Wainui (by George Creek)

-Rock along the “pipeline & tunnel” that is marked on the map until we reach Orongorongo River by Telephone Creek

-Walk down the river to the Hut

I also had another thought, which was to pull the same route but bring some Kayaks so that we can kayak down the Orongorongo river section and continue down to the sea the next day. I talked to some dude about doing this and he said it wasn’t possible, but he did work for DOC so I discounted his opinion accordingly. I think it might be a bit of a rock hop unless there is some rain –which the forecast suggests that there won’t be. I don’t know, it is probably not the best idea in the world but if someone else has got a kayak and is keen to have a go I say we give it a try –worst case, we are going to end up walking for a couple of km with our boats.       

Anyway, if anyone wants a lift or has any info on what the river is like or what the “pipeline & tunnel” is, send me an email on danielwilso at gmail dot com, or flick me a txt on 027 4655614.

Dan

•  17-05-2007, 8:50 PM 1044 in reply to 1042

Hi guys,

If you can paddle and want to go walking with dan and kayaks in the bush let me know - my boat always likes a walk (watch out, sometimes it runs away and hides in rivers for days on end...). If you think you're up for it and dan's ok with you going then shes available. Theres a paddle and a deck here too. If you're too much bigger than me you won't fit - but i'm not sure that it will matter for this trip! This offer in no way means i think this trip is a good idea (though defiantely not dan's worst). I just want to see dan and someone try it!

Craig

Craig Ryburn
  •  18-05-2007, 8:40 AM 1049 in reply to 1044

Ah ha sounds fun...I think i'll give the boat trip a miss, last time I went down a river I broke a bone (small but painful!)

If you go I'll pray for you that no bones are broken, boats don't hide and that a mighty river floods over night! :o)

...I'll bring a bottle of red wine though and a few more oranges for the feure drink as that sounds great!!

I'll try and bring a tent, small but still cover. There is sure to be a fly of some sorts right?

Sarah 

•  18-05-2007, 8:49 AM 1050 in reply to 1049

That pipe line is the good old Wanui water supply.  Be sure to pay your respects to it…

However due to many of the locals paying their respects to it, I believe the tunnel is locked off from the Wanui end.  You may need to talk to WRC to check this

Craig

•  18-05-2007, 9:44 AM 1055 in reply to 978

Hi Nicolai,

I would like to join your Feuerzangenbowle-Team. Just tell me what I can contribute.

Cheers,

Yannik 

•  18-05-2007, 11:08 AM 1056 in reply to 1055

Hey Yannik,

Another bottle of wine is never wrong I'd say! (Alternatively, bring some coins as a donation, but see - you can't drink coins, right?)

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  18-05-2007, 11:25 AM 1057 in reply to 1004

Hey Dan,

Sounds adventurous, even unfathomable (maybe literally concerning that pipeline...). The river, on the other hand, might be pretty fathomable at the moment. No proper rain since weeks... Wasn't there a website (maybe from the WRC, as well) where you could check water levels? At least that was possible for the Hutt River I remember (Bruce did so before the tubing trip).

Unfortunately I have to be back in Welly earlier on Sunday (maybe after a quick Mt. Matthews climb instaed of breakfast ;-) - At least this option would be better than a reverse breakfast after excessive drinking (commonly referred to as puking).

I'm leaving a bit l8er, too, maybe we could suss somthing out (arrange something, respectively, as the theme is "formal").

Chers, bro!

•  18-05-2007, 11:25 AM 1058 in reply to 1004

Hey Dan,

Sounds adventurous, even unfathomable (maybe literally concerning that pipeline...). The river, on the other hand, might be pretty fathomable at the moment. No proper rain since weeks... Wasn't there a website (maybe from the WRC, as well) where you could check water levels? At least that was possible for the Hutt River I remember (Bruce did so before the tubing trip).

Unfortunately I have to be back in Welly earlier on Sunday (maybe after a quick Mt. Matthews climb instaed of breakfast ;-) - At least this option would be better than a reverse breakfast after excessive drinking (commonly referred to as puking).

I'm leaving a bit l8er, too, maybe we could suss somthing out (arrange something, respectively, as the theme is "formal").

Cheers, bro!

Page 2 of 3 (36 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML