Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Baring Head - This Saturday!! (15/03) + Directions!!

Last post 14-03-2008, 10:12 PM by Jason. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-03-2008, 1:22 AM 2790

Baring Head - This Saturday!! (15/03) + Directions!!

Howdy all,

Thought I might let those who don't know know what going on this Saturday. Its the first Rock Craft trip of the year and we're heading to a secluded bouldering wonderland called Baring Head. Its about 40 minute drive around the habour + 15min walk along the beach to get there. It'll cost you nothing but $5 to cover petrol for your driver. We're meeting at the Hunter Carpark at Uni (behind the student union building) at 9a.m. or whenever you can coerce your driver out of bed. Its recommended that you bring:

1) yourself

2) sunblock

3) water

4) something to eat/snack on (there'll be a bbq taken along, just bring some meat or whatever)

5) something to drink (optional but nothing beats a cold brew while climbing)

6) togs/swim wear (again optional, swimming in recommended only at certain places around the head or the in the river)

7) sturdy shoes to climb in

8) sense of adventure :)

There's plenty of bouldering there and we'll also set up some top ropes and bring harnesses and shoes for people to use. Directions are fairly straight forward and its hard to get lost.

1) get form uni to the motorway and head North

2) take State Highway 2 until the Petone exit (if you hit big roadworks you've gone too far)

3) go over the bridge and right at the round-about and head along the Petone waterfront - keep going all the way and go over the next bridge

4) go right at the first round about and head toward Seaview (third exit on to Seaview Rd, across the bridge), turn left at the next round-about

5) follow the signs to Wainuiomatua (second right and then first left) an you'll start heading up a hill after going through a short tunnel

6) drive up and over the hill and back down, this takes you into Wainuiomatua, turn right at the round-about and just follow this road (Wainuiomatua Rd)

7) watch out for the speed camera and keep following this road, turning right/going straight at each round (along Main Rd)

8) eventually the town will disappear and you'll be on Coast rd which you follow until almost the bitter end. Park next to the road down by the beach with the rest of the cars and walk east until you hit the big rock like boulders which are made of rock. You are now at Baring Head :)

Hope to see you all there

Bryan 

Filed under: , ,
  •  12-03-2008, 2:20 PM 2792 in reply to 2790

Re: Baring Head - This Saturday!! (15/03) + Directions!!

wow, thats commitment, posting at 1.30am....

and you sure swimming is a good idea roudn there? i believe there is quite a strong undertow... mind you, depending on how deep the river is, you may need your togs for that....
  •  12-03-2008, 2:40 PM 2793 in reply to 2792

Yeah, swimming around there is a bit dodgy, especially on the southern edge where it looks real dangerous, but apparently up the east shore on the inside of the habour (north of the rock) its possible to go swimming. In fact Yannick went for a refreshing skinny drip after the bouldering competition! I'm not sure about the river down by the rocks, it doesn't flow to the sea at this time of year and so may be a bit stagnant but its probably good closer to where we'll park the cars. I'll make sure to let people know on Saturday,
  •  12-03-2008, 3:01 PM 2794 in reply to 2793

heya,yeah,the swimming was pretty sweet after the bouldering comp..have to be carefull though ;)

me and some others are def keen..gonna check if our driver from last time is sweet to go etc..if not I can navigate for someone who doesnt know way there (can't drive as ive been in nz 12+months and my foreign licence isnt valid :( )

•  12-03-2008, 3:02 PM 2795 in reply to 2794

btw,anyone checked on weather conditions ??

•  12-03-2008, 9:35 PM 2802 in reply to 2790

hey im a complete newbie who doesnt know anything about well anything so would this trip be a good one to break in with?

im not 100% sure i can make it but would love to go, will probably know by tomorrow night, but i was just wondering if anyone has any room in their car for one more butt to squeeze into? also is anyone leaving earlier like 3 ish?

thanks whoever answers

anna x

•  12-03-2008, 10:42 PM 2806 in reply to 2802

this is the ideal trip for a complete newbie. As I understand it there is a reasonable range of climbs and bouldering, plus there is going to be heaps of experienced climbers there willing to help out novices. 

I'm taking my car out regardless and currently it's only got me in it. I don't know if anyone is coming back earlier though. I'm just going to wait and see how the day goes myself.

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  13-03-2008, 9:08 AM 2807 in reply to 2806

Hey all.

This trip is aimed at everyone from complete beginners to advanced.  It is a great chance to come along and have a go at climbing, meet other people, or even just watch the days events.  There will be people going back to Wellington throughout the day so when you have had enough you can hitch a ride back with someone.  Of course this is followed by our party in the evening

Craig Scott

Gear Custodian

VUWTC Committee

•  13-03-2008, 9:26 PM 2809 in reply to 2807

Hey all, anyone heading out with 2 spare seats in a car? We are sorted for getting back, but a ride out would be awesome...
  •  13-03-2008, 10:59 PM 2811 in reply to 2809

I've still got room. If I take you 2 then I've still got one seat left for another...

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  13-03-2008, 11:24 PM 2812 in reply to 2811

If you've still got room I would like a ride too?

•  14-03-2008, 8:48 AM 2815 in reply to 2812

Sure. That fills my car up.

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  14-03-2008, 9:02 AM 2816 in reply to 2815

Hey all

If you just turn up at the Hunter carpark on Saturday morning (9:00am) there should be enough cars to get everyone out there.  Also if you have a car bring it.

Craig Scot

•  14-03-2008, 9:12 AM 2817 in reply to 2811

Cool, thanks! My number is 021 405493, might help with meeting up. You don't happen to live near mt Vic by any chance..?

•  14-03-2008, 3:11 PM 2820 in reply to 2790

I will just show up on saturday moring........
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML