Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mid-winter trip pack weight

Last post 05-05-2008, 6:50 PM by Alyn. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  30-04-2008, 12:39 PM 3077

Mid-winter trip pack weight

For all those experienced mid-winterers...

In past years what has been an approximate average pack weight for the VUWTC mid-winter trip? Steve reckons he had 27kg last year. I have worked out, based on his incredibly short stature, that this must be over half of his body weight.

Anyone acheive a substantially lighter or heavier pack than that?

Although I know ones pack weight will vary depending on how expensive (i.e. light) their gear is and how much chocolate or whiskey one takes, I just want a rough idea of how much to expect. My incredibly long and spindly stature struggles to carry more than 25kg effectively and without risking snapping me like a twig.

:-)

•  30-04-2008, 12:51 PM 3079 in reply to 3077

Re: Mid-winter trip pack weight

Hey Sam

I know how it feels to be small and carry great weights!

My pack last year was pretty light (probably just over 16kg) cause I went in a group with 9 people and as I had just injured my back the week before didn't have to carry a dinner. However at Nelson Lakes 2006 my pack was probably around 20kg. So you can get the weight down a bit. 

The key thing on Mid-Winter is food. So try and get stuff that is as light as possible, ie crackers for lunch with salami and cheese, that can also go on dinner. Museli bars, and chocolate, and cereal or something for snacks and brekky. And for dinner try taking something like those continental pasta packets with dehy peas and corn for however many people end up in the group.

The lighter you can get things, the more fun the trip is!

Andrea

•  05-05-2008, 6:50 PM 3126 in reply to 3077

Re: Mid-winter trip pack weight

For answers to these and other queries about the mid-winter trip come along to tomorrow night's meeting to find out more and ask questions on what should be an informative session on upcoming club trips. Feedback on club trips and suggestions for future trips will also be discussed.
    Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
    Filed under: , , ,
View as RSS news feed in XML