Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Bushball!!!

•  17-05-2007, 7:25 PM

Re: Bushball!!!

Hey Cats,

If anyone wants a lift to Bushball a bit later on Saturday, like 5 or so ish, let me know. I am planning to leave Welly about then and have got a sweet plan to get there. 

After some difficulties trying to make my way to Bushball last year, this time I have taken the initiative to have a look at a map. I have planned a fail-safe route. I don’t think my route appears on the map that Craig posted on the interweb, but it goes a little something like this:

-Drive to some road end out the back of Wainui (by George Creek)

-Rock along the “pipeline & tunnel” that is marked on the map until we reach Orongorongo River by Telephone Creek

-Walk down the river to the Hut

I also had another thought, which was to pull the same route but bring some Kayaks so that we can kayak down the Orongorongo river section and continue down to the sea the next day. I talked to some dude about doing this and he said it wasn’t possible, but he did work for DOC so I discounted his opinion accordingly. I think it might be a bit of a rock hop unless there is some rain –which the forecast suggests that there won’t be. I don’t know, it is probably not the best idea in the world but if someone else has got a kayak and is keen to have a go I say we give it a try –worst case, we are going to end up walking for a couple of km with our boats.       

Anyway, if anyone wants a lift or has any info on what the river is like or what the “pipeline & tunnel” is, send me an email on danielwilso at gmail dot com, or flick me a txt on 027 4655614.

Dan

View Complete Thread