Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Pukaha Mt Bruce trip 12 June 2010

•  01-06-2010, 8:41 PM

Pukaha Mt Bruce trip 12 June 2010

Hello everyone

My name is Katie and I will be running the trip to Pukaha Mount Bruce on Saturday 12 June 2010 where we will visit the Wildlife Reserve.It is located on State Highway 2 between Masterton (approximately 30km) and Eketahuna (approximately 10km).This is toward the east coast, on New Zealand's North Island. It takes about 2 hours to drive from Wellington.

Mount Bruce is a wildlife reserve that is breeding and protecting the native birds of New Zealand.  It also restores and protects the bush.  Check out the website for more information. http://www.mtbruce.org.nz/

The cost is $15 per person to enter the reserve + petrol. You can bring your own lunch or eat at the cafe.  Bring warm clothes and a raincoat because we will still go if it is wet.  It is easy trip.  Sneakers okay.

We will leave Wellington at 10am to be there about 12pm. There is a eel information talk and feeding at 1.30pm and the kaka circus on at 3pm. I have been to the kaka circus and it is awesome.  There are soo many kakas and they are soo close to you.  We should be back to Wellington between 6-7pm.

I will be a the meeting 8 June 2010 for sign ups. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you on the trip, Katie

Underneath is a blurb and link of a segment on CloseUp about bringing Kiwi's to Mount Bruce.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Oh, it's definitely a bird& but how 30 flightless kiwis were up in the sky is another thing.

It was risky and complicated, and involved over 100 people, a helicopter, and even the man-power and resources of the Air Force.

The aim? To transport 30 boxes, each containing a kiwi, from Little Barrier all the way to Pukaha, Mount Bruce, to boost the population at the Southern North Island forest.

Close Up got a close look behind the scenes of the biggest ever trans-location of New Zealand's native bird.

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/nz-s-flightless-birds-go-sky-high-3535725/video

View Complete Thread