Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Roaring Stag - April 2011

•  23-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Roaring Stag - April 2011

The plan had been to head to the Broken Axe Pinnacles, oneof my favorite easier to access spots in the Tararuas. Unfortunately theforecast for the weekend was bleak so a backup plan was thrown together. And sowe found ourselves setting out on the Saturday morning for a leisurely strollto Roaring Stag via Herepai.  Despite abit of drizzle the weather was better than anticipated and it was a pleasantenough walk up to the junction. I don’t think any of us were expecting such ashort walk from there to Herepai either. Unfortunately there was enough low lying cloud to complete obstruct anyview we might have had.  Herepai was anicer hut than the pictures I had seen indicated but I was still keen for theluxury of Roaring Stag for the night.

We arrived at Roaring Stag quite early and spent a leisurelyfew hours lazing around the hut, watching the rain and dozing on the deck.  I was pretty surprised to wake up a whilelater to the arrival of a friend and former work mate who I hadn’t seen in afew years.  It was one of those “lastperson you expect to see” moments. Dinner was a club staple: nachos. They went down really well despiteearlier protests at some of my chosen ingredients.

It made for an easy weekend but added one more hut to mytally.

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
View Complete Thread