Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

"Butter" we saw on Makara beach, might have been cheese

Last post 25-09-2008, 6:30 PM by Rambosambo. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  22-09-2008, 9:39 AM 3611

"Butter" we saw on Makara beach, might have been cheese

Cheesy lump baffles Wellington

By GREER McDONALD - The Dominion Post | Monday, 22 September 2008

A mystery object believed to be a giant chunk of cheese has washed up on Wellington's south coast.

Since Saturday, curious dogs at Breaker Bay have barked, circled and tasted the object, which is the size of a wheelie bin and resembles brie. It has also come under constant attack from seagulls.

Wellington City Council spokesman Richard MacLean said the council had received "quite a few" calls about the object. On Saturday, someone called because their dog began foaming at the mouth and vomiting after licking it.

"One of the reasons the council wants to get rid of it is because no one knows what it is yet."

He said a park ranger would have to cut it into pieces because it might weigh up to 500 kilograms. The council might keep a piece to help establish what it was.

"The most extraordinary thing is that if it is cheese, why would someone be throwing something so expensive away?"

He said the object "definitely looked like it has come from a ship".

Wellington harbourmaster Mike Pryce said there were no "cheese boats" in the area and no ships had sunk recently.

"I'm intrigued. I have no idea where it could have come from."

Filed under: , ,
  •  22-09-2008, 9:53 AM 3612 in reply to 3611

Re: "Butter" we saw on Makara beach, might have been cheese

Haha cool. Good thing we held Adam back from having a taste :)

I'm also thinking that it's a good thing we threw rocks at it to kill it or it might have attacked that poor dog...

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  22-09-2008, 3:24 PM 3613 in reply to 3612

Ewwwww.......

Apparently the lumps that have washed up on Kapiti Island, round Wellington's South Coast etc. are not butter and not cheese but something with a random name I can't spell that is formed in the intestinal tract of a sperm whale from undigested squid (their main food source). So in other words sperm whale vomit!!!

Not only that, but apparently it's quite valuable seeing it's so rare to actually find and is used in perfumes, medicines and as an aphrodesiac!!! Grose, the idea of someone smeared in sperm whale vomit doesn't really seem all that much of a turn on to me!!

Anyway, random piece of information....

•  22-09-2008, 3:29 PM 3614 in reply to 3613

You eat Bee vomit all the time, whats wrong with sperm whale vomit?

pretty gross, but kinda cool.

ps. hi

•  22-09-2008, 4:19 PM 3615 in reply to 3613

You mean its ambergris.   That stuff is worth more than gold.    I think the stuff we found was not smelling good.   Where do you get your information from?   Does any one know what they have done with the chunk that was at breaker bay?

Jeremy........:) 

•  22-09-2008, 4:24 PM 3616 in reply to 3615

Someone on stuff.co.nz posted that they thought it could be. They were speculating, but stuff.co.nz changed the article to suit anyway.

I havn't seen any confirmed links that it is ambergris.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4700787a11.html

•  22-09-2008, 7:07 PM 3618 in reply to 3612

Damn we could have damn well been millionaires!!!!!!!!!!

Here is an updated article:

This piece they are talking about is in  a different location but looks similar.

Wellington City Council staff were not required to remove a large, unidentified lump of greasy substance from a south coast beach today - locals did it for them.

The lump apparently washed up at Breaker Bay during the weekend and once word got out that it could be valuable ambergris - an excretion from whales that is used to make perfume - locals started pillaging it.

Ambergris can sell for thousands of dollars per kilogram and Wellington City Council spokesman Richard MacLean said it was like "some sort of bizarre gold rush" on the beach today.

"We went out there this morning and there were people sort of lunging at it with spades and sharp implements trying to chop pieces off so they could make off with it and make their fortunes," he said.

"Whether people are now going to try and pass it off on TradeMe as highly valuable ambergris remains to be seen."

However, the lump was cylinder shaped as if it had been manufactured and the general consensus was that it was in fact lard or cooking fat.

Initial suggestions were that it might be a huge lump of cheese which had fallen off a boat, but either way, Mr MacLean said it was foul.

"It's disgusting. I've got a piece of it beside my desk and everyone in the office is pretty much grossed out by it."

He said there was probably no need to get it tested unless issues arose around people attempting to sell it.

The lump was originally about the size of a 44-gallon drum and estimated to weigh hundreds of kilograms.

- NZPA

Adam Williams
    Ex-President
    021 239 9543
  •  25-09-2008, 6:27 PM 3637 in reply to 3611

it could be tallow or vegetable shortening, looks like the stuff they put in the deep fryers at Burger King,.
    Sammy Roo
  •  25-09-2008, 6:30 PM 3638 in reply to 3637

they have big storerooms of  it out the back of their shops and it;s heavy thick, greasy, white and arteries clogging.
    Sammy Roo
View as RSS news feed in XML