Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Matiu/Somes Island Volunteering trip

Last post 28-04-2008, 1:15 PM by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  22-04-2008, 3:40 PM 3050

Matiu/Somes Island Volunteering trip

Hello All!

If your itching to do some hands on conservation work, enjoy spending time in the New Zealand Bush, have seldom seen many native birds or reptiles, or just want to spend some good times with your VUWTC family? Then you must come to Matiu/Somes Island on May 10-11th!

This means you MUST confirm with me that you are comming by May 29th (next Tuesday) as I need to book the accomadation and ferry.

The plan is:

Meet at the Dominion Post Ferry Terminal at 9:30am. Please please please be there by then as the ferry leaves at 10am and I have some DOC health and saftey forms I need you to fill out before then! (Given the tramping clubs history in punctuality I am was very tempted to tell you all to show up at 9am!)

Volunteer and enjoy the island for Saturday and Sunday. Tasks could include: weeding, rubbish removal, planting, monitoring of bait stations, track maintenance, painting and cleaning to aid the restoration of the indigenous ecosystem and preservation of historic assets.

There is a house we can stay in (for free) that sleeps 10. If there are more of us than that, the overflow can sleep in tents (also free). So or those of you that are not keen on roughing it all the time, this trip is for you - there are mattresses, (hot!) showers, toiletes and even electricity (though only durring meal times!).

We will be leaving the island at 4:25 on Sunday.

The cost of the trip is $37 ($18.50 each way for the ferry) but I'm working on getting it free.

So please send me an e-mail if you are interested!

Terra  :)

•  27-04-2008, 10:47 AM 3062 in reply to 3050

Re: Matiu/Somes Island Volunteering trip

Hey hey!

There has been a reduction in cost! :) It will now cost only $15 return.

Terra

•  28-04-2008, 1:15 PM 3067 in reply to 3062

Re: Matiu/Somes Island Volunteering trip

Hi Terra

Could you add Katya and I to the list.  I haven't asked her yet, but I am sure that she will agree as soon as i mention that it is for the good of the nation ;)

My number is 021 805 888, just in case u want to spam my mobile ;)

We will bring our tent, just in case the attendees get to the double digits ;)

Enjoy!

View as RSS news feed in XML